image description

Line out to headphone amp problem
  Forum Index » AudioBox VSL 44 
Author
Prenoob

I am trying to send one of the 4 line outs (line 1) to a headphone amp, but it only plays back the left channel through the headphones. I am using a stereo 1/4" cable.
MitchInOmaha
Presonic
[Avatar]

Wolf,

I'm pretty new here, but I'll take a stab at this.

The line level outputs on the '44 (as on most interfaces) are mono (not stereo) balanced signals. In order to preserve the balanced signal, you have to use a "stereo" cable, but the reason is for electrical integrity, not because there is a left and right signal coming down the wire.

If you want stereo to your headphones, you have to use two outputs from your '44 and create a stereo mix in S1 that goes out to those two line-outs, and cable both to your headphone amp.

-- Mitch

ETA: I have my 22VSL (balanced outputs) connected to my home stereo (unbalanced inputs) using a silly adapter I created. My stereo/amp has two RCA unbalanced inputs. The '22 has two balanced 1/4" outputs. I have a long RCA to RCA cable to connect the two. At the '22 end, I use two adapters with 1/4" stereo (TRS) on one end and two RCA jacks on the other. Plug one of these into two outputs from the VSL and then connect the long extension cable to one of each of the RCA jacks coming off the adapters. The short adapters kind of serve as a make-shift balanced to unbalanced converter.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 04/01/2012 19:00:22

Behringer X32
Audiobox VSL 22
Tascam US-1800
Windows 7, Dell Studio 17 Laptop, i7, 6Gb
StudioOne 2 Professional
Father of the next big name guitar player.
seawolf
Prenoob

Thanks. I thought line outs were stereo. In the manual it says you can send the line out to a headphone amp, and my headphone amp only has one 1/4" input, so I assumed it would work with just one line out.

Since it didn't work with our session last night, I just sent the headphone out on the VSL to the input on the headphone amp. It seemed to work fine, it was in stereo and I didn't notice any distortion. I just didn't know if I should be doing it like that, since the manual says to use line out for a headphone amp.
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

That's a very good stab there Mitch, well done.

Another possibility is that you need to check your I/O routing. If your inputs are stereo sometimes folks goof and set the outputs to stereo as well. In that instance you'd have to use both output 1 and 2 to get both sides. Check to make sure that the output is mono on #1. That'll likely get you both sides of the recording.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
MikeRivers
Presonoid
[Avatar]

seawolf wrote:Thanks. I thought line outs were stereo. In the manual it says you can send the line out to a headphone amp, and my headphone amp only has one 1/4" input, so I assumed it would work with just one line out.

The headphone jack is stereo and has the same signal as Line Out 1-2 has but on one jack rather than two. Many headphone amplifiers have two input jacks, one for right and one for left. Usually if you connect to only the left input, it sends it to both channels of the headphone amp so for a mono input, you get mono, in both ears. If you post a link to some on-line info on your headphone amplifier, I'll translate what it says for you.

Since it didn't work with our session last night, I just sent the headphone out on the VSL to the input on the headphone amp. It seemed to work fine

Nothing wrong with doing that. I assume you used a "stereo" or "balanced" patch cable. You'd need that in order to get stereo.
Visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com for some useful audio info
"It's much easier to look for a magic solution than it is to adapt to reality." - Allan Sloan
[WWW]
seawolf
Prenoob

Here's the manual for the headphone amp

http://media.zzounds.com/media/HA400_ENG_Rev_A-dbc977c705e82539ca3a7286c73785a6.pdf

I used a stereo 1/4" cable. When connecting the line out to the headphone amp, the output was in the left channel only, not mono in both left and right. My DAW's master out is set to channels 1/2.
MikeRivers
Presonoid
[Avatar]

seawolf wrote:[Behringer HA400 MicroAmp headphone amplifier]

I used a stereo 1/4" cable. When connecting the line out to the headphone amp, the output was in the left channel only, not mono in both left and right.

That's a pretty basic headphone amplifier, but the manual specifies (step 3) that the input connector is TRS, which, for a stereo amplifier implies one channel on the tip and the other channel on the ring with the sleeve common to both channels, the same way headphones are wired.

When you connected a single output from your AudioBox to the headphone amplifier, you were only feeding one channel's signal to the tip of the plug so that's why you got only one channel of your stereo mix, and it came out only one earphone.

If you wanted to feed mono to both phones, you'd need a special cable with tip and ring tied together on the headphone amp end, and that wire (pair) connected to just the tip of the plug on the AudioBox end. That would connect the mono output of the AudioBox to both the left and right inputs of the headphone amplifier. But you'd also need to make your mix mono by either setting all the pan pots to the center or turning them all to one side - left if you're using Output 1, or right if you're using Output 2.

You could use what's commonly called an Insert cable - TRS plug on one end, two TS plugs on the other end - and send a real stereo mix to the headphone amplifier by plugging the TS plugs into Outputs 1 and 2 on the AudioBox.

Lots of possibilities, maybe more that you'll think of, once you grab on to how it works. Like you could have one mix coming out the headphone jack on the front panel and a different mix going to the headphone amplifier by using Outputs 3-4 using the horizontal sliders just below the SELECT buttons.
Visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com for some useful audio info
"It's much easier to look for a magic solution than it is to adapt to reality." - Allan Sloan
[WWW]
seawolf
Prenoob

You could use what's commonly called an Insert cable - TRS plug on one end, two TS plugs on the other end - and send a real stereo mix to the headphone amplifier by plugging the TS plugs into Outputs 1 and 2 on the AudioBox.

Thanks for the info! I think I will try using an Insert cable now.
xzb6np
Presonic

I am using 4 insert cables for the outputs of my 1818 and they work perfect with headphone amps.
Thanks

Forum Index » AudioBox VSL 44
Go to: