image description

Help! My Mixdown sounds so badly!
  Forum Index » Digital Audio Recording 
Author
Prenoob

Hey people.. I know that this problem has been on this forum many times, but I have a huge problem again! I'm a complete noob in audio recording. I have Presonus Studio One 2 Artist, and I'm using a Presonus USB Audiobox with Presonus M7 microphone (Presonus 1box pack), recording on PC, Windows 7 64bit. I'm having a very annoying problem! When I record my vocal and insert my instrumental beat to Studio One it sounds great, just like I would like to have it when I create a mixdown, but when I create it it just goes crap! My effects can be barely heard, volume level is going down, my vocal loses the compression which I've put in the Studio One and it like.. blends into the instrumental beat and it is muffled. It should be over the instrumental beat. I've tried to change the volume level down, so there would be no clipping, but still nothing changes! I've tried to mix it as a WAV and FLAC file's with different resolutions and samplerates, but still nothing..

I have no idea of what to do! Please help me.. or there might be some tutorials or something to helps newbie's like me. I will be much appreciated. (If you can please answer in 'easy english' please, because I might not understand fully the music terms). Thanks.
Julia B
Presonoid
[Avatar]

What are you using for monitors? Get a decent pair if you haven't already. KRK Rokit 8s are decent for around $500. Add in your balanced cables to connect to them and you're good.

Learning how to record and mix takes time and IMO is a money pit. I'd recommend a series of books from Hal Leonard Recording Method, available on Amazon.com, and it's not on their Cyber Monday sale. I'd recommend books 2 and 6. That got me started.

I'd select a few reference recordings in various genres. Be careful of remasters -- they're usually just made hotter than the originals and have less dynamic range.

Take your mixdowns and burn them to some CDs and listen to them on different systems.

Also your first ones are going to sound like crap. It gets better. Don't expect to be Tony Maserati by next week. And having the Waves Tony Maserati plugins won't make you into him either.

After you've been doing this about a year, go back and listen to your first mixes. You will have a WTF was I thinking moment. I guarantee it.

Creation Station 400 Sweetwater Intel i7 Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz
16 GB Ram
C:\ 500 GB Seagate 7200 rpm
D:\ 1 TB Seagate 7200 rpm
F: \ : 1 TB WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm SATA Libraries
Win 7 Home Premium 64 SP1
Focusrite Saffire6 USB

Studio One Pro 2.6.2; Pro Tools 8.0.5; Cubase 7

Sugarbytes Cyclop, Arturia V Collection, Ivory II, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus, EWQL VOP, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, Komplete 9, AEON, Evolve, Evolve Damage, Evolve Mutations, Alicia's Keys, MOTU Ethno-Instrument, Addictive Drums, Yellow Tools Candy, Garritan JABB3, GPO4, Vir2 Electri6ity, Omnisphere, Stylus, Reason 6.5, Sony Soundforge 10, Miroslav Philharmonic & Choir, Waves Gold bundle, Maserati Bundle, Vocal Rider, Melodyne Editor, Sibelius.

evilproPL
Prenoob

Thanks for the answer! I'm using some Technika computer speakers.. I will check out the stuff you've given me, hovewer, do you have any tips for saving my songs on my computer in best quality possible? I've changed the vocals and tracks so nothing goes over 1db, it sounds better, however I need some tip how to save it properly.
Julia B
Presonoid
[Avatar]

When you record your tracks, make sure your faders in S1 are at 0 dB. Now make sure that the signal from the interface doesn't peak higher than -6 dB on the tracks. When you mix make sure that your MAIN is set at 0 dB and that the output signal doesn't peak over -6 dB. Your RMS signal may be at -12 dB, and that's fine. When you get your Main running like this, your individual tracks in a large session may be at -18 dB and that's fine, too.

This will give you headroom for mastering. You need to leave that headroom in your mixdown. It also will sound like a "quiet mix". That's fine. Hitting + 1 dB is clipping and doesn't sound good.

Mastering is a whole different game where mastering engineers add the sparkle and bring up the volume level of the tracks. Most of my mixdown files peak around -8 dB these days, and this may be on one snare hit for the entire track. If you don't leave sufficient headroom there is no room to add that sheen and sparkle.

You've got the Audiobox, right? Create your sessions in 24 bit 44.1 kHz. Do your mixdowns in that as well. WARNING: files in 24 bit format may not play on conventional CD players. Normal CD audio is in 16 bit 44.1 kHz. You will need to dither from 24 bit to 16 bit, but that is usually done as the mastering stage.

You can do a quick dither if you just want to check to hear how your mix sounds on other systems. I'd create a folder where you do your "Test Mixdowns". That way you know which files you can delete.

NOTE: I have not tried mastering in Studio One. About a month before I got Studio One I bought Sony Soundforge Pro 10. I paid for it, it's good, so I use it. You can do similar things in Studio One "Projects".

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/11/2011 21:14:10

Creation Station 400 Sweetwater Intel i7 Sandy Bridge 3.4 GHz
16 GB Ram
C:\ 500 GB Seagate 7200 rpm
D:\ 1 TB Seagate 7200 rpm
F: \ : 1 TB WD Caviar Black 7200 rpm SATA Libraries
Win 7 Home Premium 64 SP1
Focusrite Saffire6 USB

Studio One Pro 2.6.2; Pro Tools 8.0.5; Cubase 7

Sugarbytes Cyclop, Arturia V Collection, Ivory II, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Platinum Plus, EWQL VOP, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, Komplete 9, AEON, Evolve, Evolve Damage, Evolve Mutations, Alicia's Keys, MOTU Ethno-Instrument, Addictive Drums, Yellow Tools Candy, Garritan JABB3, GPO4, Vir2 Electri6ity, Omnisphere, Stylus, Reason 6.5, Sony Soundforge 10, Miroslav Philharmonic & Choir, Waves Gold bundle, Maserati Bundle, Vocal Rider, Melodyne Editor, Sibelius.

evilproPL
Prenoob

That's great! Thanks a lot for your answer, it was very helpful.

@EDIT: I have another question tho.. is there an option to save a song as an actual song in Studio One 2 Artist?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 28/11/2011 21:49:49

Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

I'm not sure I understand the question.

If I'm reading you right you're looking for a mixdown. What that does is combine everything to a stereo mix. Is Artist you can save the mixdown as 16 bit 44.1k and you'll have something that can be burned to CD and used just about anywhere.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
evilproPL
Prenoob

Monolithent wrote:I'm not sure I understand the question.

If I'm reading you right you're looking for a mixdown. What that does is combine everything to a stereo mix. Is Artist you can save the mixdown as 16 bit 44.1k and you'll have something that can be burned to CD and used just about anywhere.

Thanks for the answer, is the Mixdown much different from Digital Publishing (or something like this) in Studio One Pro?
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

That I don't know. I've never tried. I'm a live sound oriented kinda guy who dabbles in studio work here and there.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
Palaios
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Mixdown is composition of Your work. "Simple" audio file.

If copied to CD/DVD as it is it won´t play unless player knows how to handle DATA-disks.

Digital relase is either MP3/CD format relase and/or uploading to Soundcloud etc

Audio CD-format is different from audio(=data) format.
(most CD/DVD- burning softwares allow both disktypes to be burned)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 29/11/2011 16:19:38

Firestudio Project iMac 3,2GHz i3 8Gb 1Tb MBP 13"4Gb S1 Pro
[Email] [WWW]
evilproPL
Prenoob

Okey, thanks for the answers! I bought Studio One 2 Pro, but now I have a similiar problem with Digital Release, can you please check it out?

http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/17155.page
3n1
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Julia B wrote:When you record your tracks, make sure your faders in S1 are at 0 dB. Now make sure that the signal from the interface doesn't peak higher than -6 dB on the tracks. When you mix make sure that your MAIN is set at 0 dB and that the output signal doesn't peak over -6 dB. Your RMS signal may be at -12 dB, and that's fine. When you get your Main running like this, your individual tracks in a large session may be at -18 dB and that's fine, too.

This will give you headroom for mastering. You need to leave that headroom in your mixdown. It also will sound like a "quiet mix". That's fine. Hitting + 1 dB is clipping and doesn't sound good.

Mastering is a whole different game where mastering engineers add the sparkle and bring up the volume level of the tracks. Most of my mixdown files peak around -8 dB these days, and this may be on one snare hit for the entire track. If you don't leave sufficient headroom there is no room to add that sheen and sparkle.

You've got the Audiobox, right? Create your sessions in 24 bit 44.1 kHz. Do your mixdowns in that as well. WARNING: files in 24 bit format may not play on conventional CD players. Normal CD audio is in 16 bit 44.1 kHz. You will need to dither from 24 bit to 16 bit, [b]but that is usually done as the mastering stage.

I've ran into the same issue. I will try this and see what happens. 3n1, Yakima,Wa

You can do a quick dither if you just want to check to hear how your mix sounds on other systems. I'd create a folder where you do your "Test Mixdowns". That way you know which files you can delete.

NOTE: I have not tried mastering in Studio One. About a month before I got Studio One I bought Sony Soundforge Pro 10. I paid for it, it's good, so I use it. You can do similar things in Studio One "Projects".

foxdfive
Presonic
[Avatar]

Julia B wrote:What are you using for monitors? Get a decent pair if you haven't already. KRK Rokit 8s are decent for around $500. Add in your balanced cables to connect to them and you're good.

Learning how to record and mix takes time and IMO is a money pit. I'd recommend a series of books from Hal Leonard Recording Method, available on Amazon.com, and it's not on their Cyber Monday sale. I'd recommend books 2 and 6. That got me started.

I have noticed that you truly emphasize the use of these two books. I have a couple recording books but your passion about these peeks my interest, now I must go look.

Presonus Studio One Pro 2, Presonus Fire Studio Mobile, AS Rock H67M, Intel 7 Sandy Bridge 2600, 8GB Ram, M-Audio BX5 Monitors, Roland DS-90 Monitors, Akai LPK 25, M-Audion Axiom 61, Komplete 8, Many Guitars /Basses
loujudson
Prenoob
[Avatar]

I've been recording and doing sound for over 40 years, and still am not happy with my mixes most of the time.

Keep working, and remember you'll be better in 30 or 40 years.

I am not being a troll or putting you down. I've had some great teachers over the years, and it is not somethng you just plug in and play to sound like Fleetwood Mac... I didn't have an interweb to ask, but learned in time how to do it.

Best,
Lou
Pro Tools since 1995. Mac only same time.
Live sound since 1971, in Marin County California.
New to digital live mixing and loving it!
foxdfive
Presonic
[Avatar]

It'll come in time
Presonus Studio One Pro 2, Presonus Fire Studio Mobile, AS Rock H67M, Intel 7 Sandy Bridge 2600, 8GB Ram, M-Audio BX5 Monitors, Roland DS-90 Monitors, Akai LPK 25, M-Audion Axiom 61, Komplete 8, Many Guitars /Basses
evilproPL
Prenoob

Thanks guys! Johnny 'themuzic' Geib gave me some lessons on skype conversation which really helped. I will continue with doing for next years and I'm hoping to see an improvement. Thanks again.

Forum Index » Digital Audio Recording
Go to: