image description

Presonus 22VSL VS Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 My Short List
  Forum Index » AudioBox VSL 22 
Author
Prenoob

For years I had been using a M-Audio Pro-Fire 2626 and it served me well. But now I am looking to set up a mobile rig that is bus powered. I think I have narrowed the field down to the Presonus 22VSL and the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.

Really just looking for rock solid low latency drivers and two good clean mic pre-amps.

Any thoughts between these two or anything else I should be looking at?

Thanks
MikeRivers
Presonoid
[Avatar]

I haven't seen the Scarlett 212 up close and in person yet, but I rather liked the 6i8. But the Scarletts and the AudioBoxes are somewhat different in concept. It's kind of like comparing apples and pears (as opposed to apples and oranges). They have different features and it all depends on what you really need or what you don't mind doing without. The Scarlett 212 is really more basic than the AudioBox VSL22 which may be a plus or a minus.

I think they sound pretty much alike and both worked OK with computers. You do need a fair amount of muscle with a USB audio device, however. I had to set the Scarlett buffer to the 10 msec setting in order to get it to work glitch-free on my little Atom powered netbook. The VSL44 that I have here now works with a little smaller buffer on that computer, but I haven't tried playing a virtual instrument with it so I don't know how that really works out.
Visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com for some useful audio info
"It's much easier to look for a magic solution than it is to adapt to reality." - Allan Sloan
[WWW]
potapoo
Prenoob

Thank you for your response Mike. Is there any other interface I should be considering?

MikeRivers
Presonoid
[Avatar]

potapoo wrote:Thank you for your response Mike. Is there any other interface I should be considering?

I don't get to see them all, only the ones from companies who are willing to lend them to me for test and review. The VSL22 is probably very much like the VSL44 and there's nothing wrong with that one. My personal preference is leaning toward the Focusrite Scarlett 6i8 because, for my purposes, it has a little better selection of inputs and outputs, I don't need the EQ and effects in the monitor mix that the AudioBox offers, and I find the Focusrite user interface (on the screen) a bit less cluttered and easier to use if I need it, which probably won't be very often.

One problem that I have with the AudioBox, and it's unique to the computer that I'd like to use it with, a Toshiba netbook), is that the computer has insufficient screen resolution (1024x600) to display the full height of the VSL44 mixer. Because the VSL screen is neither sizeable nor scrollable (and Windows won't let you move the top of the display off the top of the screen), I really can't use it with that computer unless I connect an external monitor or don't need to use the faders or see the full meters, and an additional monitor puts a big dent in the portability. The Scarlett mixer screen just barely fits if I let it cover up the Windows tool bar. But hopefully you'll have a less limited computer (I do, too, but I really want to be able to use the little lightweight one if I have to use a computer at all) so you probably won't have this problem.

Visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com for some useful audio info
"It's much easier to look for a magic solution than it is to adapt to reality." - Allan Sloan
[WWW]
munkee
Prenoob

I just got rid of my Scarlett 2i2 and went for the 22VSL. Main thing for me was that 22VSL has MIDI, Scarlett does not.
potapoo
Prenoob

Thanks Mike for your insights.

Forum Index » AudioBox VSL 22
Go to: