image description

Snap, Crackle, Pop. Anyone got milk?
  Forum Index » FireStudio Mobile & FireStudio Project 
Author
Prenoob

I recently purchased a firestudio moble. I am running cubase 5.1 on an AMD 6x home build. I am having issues with pops/cracks on record, playback and monitor. It seems to happen mostly when I use VST effects. However it randomly does the same with no effects at all.
I have tried several buffer rates from 64mb to 1024mb and that seems to reduce the issue. But does not completely eliminate it. Any higher on the buffer rate and the latency is unacceptable. Ultimately, I would like to run 24b/96k. ATM I am at the bare minimum of 16b/44.1k
I have gone through the setup manual several times for presonus and cubase. I have searched fervently on the forums and have found no viable solution. I have lost alot of hair over this. It would be nice to find a solution before I am completely bald. Rice Crispy's anyone?

My build:
W7U (64bit)
GIGABYTE GA-880GMA-UD2H
AMD Phenom II 6x 1090T 3.2Ghz
OCZ 60Gb SSD SATA2 (master/software)
2x 1Tb SATA 7200 WD HDD's (in striped mode) (slave/audio tracks)
8Gb OCZ DDR3-1600/PC3-12800 RAM
ATI Radeon 1Gb DDR5 6870HD
DX11

Tools:
Cubase 5.1
Reason 2.0
Acid 4.0

PS: Will the FS Mobile work in Linux?
RubbaDubbaDoo
Prenoob

No replies?!? /cry
Look like Ill be calling tech support.
I'll post if a solution is found.
-cheers-
RubbaDubbaDoo
Prenoob

Dear moderator.... if I am being bumped because my post is out of line in any way, I apologize. The subject of this post is to imply that I am getting more snap, crackle and pop than a bowl of rice crispies. I am sorry if that offends anyone.

-cheers-
stickulari
Presonic
[Avatar]

Am liking the Rice Crispies analogy . OK obvious stuff first, firewire chipset? SPIDIF breakout cable (used or not?), can you see which channel(s) the pops are happening on?
Have you had a read Mono's excellent post http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/3535.page , if not then have a look through and download some checking software which will give some clues on any problem areas. Let us know how it goes. Cheers
Dell Vostro 1320, Windows 7, 32 Bit,
S1 Professional V2
FS 26x26, Digimax FS
FS Mobile x 2
Eureka pre
EQ3B
HP4
AER compact 60
Audio technica ATM350
Various other AT and AKG mics
eike
Preamp
[Avatar]

adjust the windows ieee1394 driver to legacy (via device manager). also, please follow the links in my sig.
May the voodoo be with you!
[ StudioOne Developer DSP ]

Performance FAQ
RubbaDubbaDoo
Prenoob

Great info guys. It's the little things that mean the most. I was on the phone for almost an hour with one of your CS guys this morning. He was very knowledgeable and patient as he walked me through the steps I had overlooked. The audio interface in Win7 is not for the meek. After several attempts at troubleshooting different ideas, it was determined that Cubase may be what is causing my hair loss.
When Cubase is opened or selected, Universal Control switches back to 16b/44.1k (even though I switched it to 24b/96k proir). Also, if VST effects are added to a track the snapin and poppin increases. As far as what channels are causing the issues? The pops seem to coincide with the VST channel randomly spiking.

Good call on the device manager/firewire/legacy thing. I would have never thought to do that. However, the issue remains persistent. /facepalm
Thank you for the links, I will read through them thoroughly following a format/OS install. I am beginning to see graphics glitches and my system is randomly locking up forcing a reboot. (My spidy-sence tells me my system may have too much funk and needs to be douched.) I will try to follow up after that and a conversation with the Steinberg folk.

Dominic also sent me this handy link. kudos for that bro. ...it's the little things.
http://support.presonus.com/entries/119099-optimizing-your-computer-for-audio-windows-vista-windows-7

To the 'Dear Moderator' post, it would appear that posts are more readily replied to only after registering a presonus product. ..again, the little things.

*note to self: contact Bosley for hair replacement.

RubbaDubbaDoo
Prenoob

Just got back to town and haven't had a chance to follow up til now.

I have formatted and reinstalled win7. Installed necessary drivers, software and firmware only for presonus FSM, cubase and reason.
At first the audio issues were null. However when I switched to the ASIO Presonus Drivers the audio issue was right back.
I switched to Generic DX drivers and had no issues.
I switched to the Generic Low Latency Drivers and had no issues.
I switched back to the Presonus drivers and again had the same clicking and popping issues.
I am running the latest drivers available from this website.
I have also tried all the suggestions for optimizing a DAW.
This issue is still persistent.
I will continue to use the drivers that are working. But it would be nice to have the Presonus drivers working as intended.
Any advice beyond what has already been posted would be greatly appreciated.
-cheers all-
Jason.Harris
Presonoid

RubbaDubbaDoo wrote:Dear moderator.... if I am being bumped because my post is out of line in any way, I apologize. The subject of this post is to imply that I am getting more snap, crackle and pop than a bowl of rice crispies. I am sorry if that offends anyone.

-cheers-

I am not the "moderator" per-se, but I am the "official" Presonus Forum Guy.

However, I just didn't see your post. It looks like it was created on Friday (which, after 5 begins my weekend where I've got children and merrymaking to do).

Normally, I'm fairly active on the weekends, but this one was just an off time for me until Sunday when I had the urge to take a gander at the Studiolive and Beta forums.

Trust me, no-one was intentionally ignoring your post

Cheers,

Jason

RubbaDubbaDoo
Prenoob

Update as of 10/4/11.
I tested my system with a M-Audio Fast Track PN: ML03-00454 usb audio interface.
In/out latency ran at 8ms whereas the presonus runs at 23ms in and around 80ms out. At 44.1k x 24bit sample rate.
Tested the M-Audio Fast Track running same Cubase tracks as before with zero lag spikes, drop outs or clicks and pops.
This unit was purchased fro $40.00 on Craig's list.
I am now convinced either my Presonus Firestudio mobile is not compatible with windows 7, cannot transfer audio fast enough or I have a defective unit.
It is also my understanding that firewire interfaces have a slower transfer rate than USB interfaces.
Before I ebay my Presonus Firestudio mobile, I would appreciate any support anyone has to offer.
-cheers-
stickulari
Presonic
[Avatar]

I've just been recording using my FSM on my win 7 laptop with absolutely no problems. The only thing that I have done to my system is switched off the wireless and suspended the ACPI.

If I remember correctly from the research that I did before buying either my FSM or FS2626, fire wire transfer rate is alot quicker than USB, I'll see if I can find the relevent article again.

I think that you have some sort of defect in your FSM because I know I'm not the only one who uses Win 7/ PreSonus firewire without problems. If you haven't already, raise a support ticket and see if the tech guys can iron this out for you. I'll admit it can be frustrating getting it set up, but it's good gear and does work well once done. If I can help I will just let me know.

Edit: Everything that I have found says that there shouldn't be much in it between USB2.0(480Mb/s max) and FW400 (400Mb/s max).However if there are other USB devices sharing the bus, speeds will be slowed, whereas it's unlikely you are going to have multiple FW devices and even if you do, by daisy chaining, it's more likely to be your computer that causes problems through lack of processing speed than the interfaces (max 52in 52 out, designed)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/10/2011 00:25:58

Dell Vostro 1320, Windows 7, 32 Bit,
S1 Professional V2
FS 26x26, Digimax FS
FS Mobile x 2
Eureka pre
EQ3B
HP4
AER compact 60
Audio technica ATM350
Various other AT and AKG mics
RubbaDubbaDoo
Prenoob

While I sit here listening to the awsome recording of my friend.... I still sit in wonder of what I 'Could' have done....
I have jumped through all the hoops. I have adjusted my machine to the extremes. I have gone further than any other musician should. ... I have 6 weeks worth of trax they have done, completed..... while I still have nothing....
$5,ooo later,,,, my friend that spent less than 500 bucks still has better recordings than me....

Im still tryin to troubleshoot why my system cant handle a firewire presonus studio.....

I want tp believe presonus is a great product.... but when I can get a system like my friend has for fractions of cost.... I am beginning to feel presonus is over rated by paid people to grandiose their product.
I dunno.. .. I have done everythihg to try and make it happen.

yet my friend that has spent less than 40 bucks has been able to produce over 10 songs while I sit here trying to figure out how to make this presonus fire studio mobile to work.

I have lost countless speratic musical ideas due to this issue.

I hate to say it but I think I am done with Presonus.
RubbaDubbaDoo
Prenoob

addendum. Perhaps I have a bad unit... perhaps...

Ive noticed too that the bass response is mudding out everything else...... either that or the studio ref mons I have been tweeking to over the past 12 years are starting to go bad... however..... these speakers have been true up until the point of switching or disabling ALL audio drivers to the presonus unit.
Im just sayin....
Jason.Harris
Presonoid

There are two ways of going about getting your unit looked at/replaced/fixed:

1) take it back to the store where you bought it and exchange it for a new unit (providing its still under the normal 30 day store warranty).

2) Call Tech Support and request an RA. Make sure to reference your previous ticket with them and also you can send them this thread (which has
my call for you to get an RA.

The FS mobile is a great device. I use one every day on both Mac and PC (windows 7 32 and 64!) and I even use it in my Live rig to bring audio in and output audio from my macbook. I love it (and not because I work here either...) and need no other interface for most of my recording and playback duties.

These are rarely in the repair shop either, so if your unit truly is defective or damaged, we want to take a look at it.

Cheers,

Jason

RubbaDubbaDoo
Prenoob

Fair enough. I will submit a ticket. However being that I purchased this on ebay it may not be covered by any warranties or RMA.
The unit is in mint condition, original packaging with all the cables and software.
I reviewed hundreds of interfaces over a 3 week period before deciding on the FSM.
I do believe you when you say it is an awsome unit.
Unfortunately it has not been very kind to me.

RubbaDubbaDoo
Prenoob

Final follow up:
I would like to thank you all for your input and support. Technical support has been super as well. You all rock!!
Unfortunately I have given as much time into this matter as I care to(one month).
At this time I have decided to go with another audio interface.
Thanks again and best of luck.
-cheers-

Forum Index » FireStudio Mobile & FireStudio Project
Go to: