image description

Studiolive Computer Connection Problems - I AM GETTING SO TICKED OFF
  Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

In my garage studio, everything revolves around the SL. I ran wires all thru my walls for monitor mixes. I've got many hours invested in all my setup. I've spent lots of money on monitors, computers, etc.

However, I spend more time trying to get this thing to work than I do record. I want to throw it out the window sometimes, like right now.

I have Dell Optiplex with a Core 2 Duo Processor, with a new install of Win 7 64 bit. Bear in mind, I had this SAME problem with XP.

I always turn my SL on first, then my computer. I go into Reaper and it says audio device not connected. Nice. If I change it to my M-Audio Delta 44 and go back in, viola, there it is... I'm ready to record.

So, I start shutting my computer down, shutting my SL down, connecting and reconnecting firewire, etc. I have been up here for two hours to lay a guitar track down and can't get it to connect.. well, I did once after a combination of reboots, but I did so much I don't even know what combination worked. I'm assuming the device drivers should be saying Presonus Firestudio within Reaper, and not Presonus Studiolive.

I have a Presonus Startech firewire card with a via chipset. When connected, it works like a charm.

It's not just Reaper... when I try to go into Capture, it says NO AUDIO DEVICE. Well, it's connected, thats for sure.

Can someone please help me before I lose my mind? My Labor day off to has turned into a laborous day and I'm not having any fun here. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Stephens
tysonviolin
Presonic
[Avatar]

This might be an annoying comment, but here it is anyway. Get a Macbook Pro 13" ($1200) and a big lcd tv. It will work. Ardour is a free daw, or go with mixbus or logic or anything else. Macs work.
TROPO.BANDCAMP.COM
SL24
SL16
Apogee
Studio One Pro
Logic
Ableton
Mac Book Pro
UA
Vintech

[WWW]
thetriguy
Prenoob

Oh, so I guess what you are saying is Presonus should start putting "Compatible with MAC only" on their boxes? And the issue with the gain reduction on my Studiolive being slammed 50% of the time when I turn it on is because I'm not using a MAC also?
tysonviolin
Presonic
[Avatar]

not what I am saying, but MAC has the advantage since the components are known quantities. I dont want to get in a MAC vs PC debate here, just offering my 2 cents. If MAC is not an option because of any thousands of reasons, than disregard my comments.

There was a learning curve for me as far as order of operation etc, even with a MAC, but besides that, I have had no issues with my three SL consoles in the studio or live. I understand the posters frustration about wanting to get to work recording.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/09/2011 21:48:47

TROPO.BANDCAMP.COM
SL24
SL16
Apogee
Studio One Pro
Logic
Ableton
Mac Book Pro
UA
Vintech

[WWW]
FunkyBeat
Presonic
[Avatar]

tysonviolin wrote:This might be an annoying comment, but here it is anyway. Get a Macbook Pro 13" ($1200) and a big lcd tv. It will work. Ardour is a free daw, or go with mixbus or logic or anything else. Macs work.

It's annoying comments like these that make pc users dislike mac users and start stupid mac vs pc debates.

Also, for the record, PCs also work.
"Please point me to the self-help section."
Pure Sound Entertainment LLC
www.puresoundent.com
thetriguy
Prenoob

I actually bought a new MB Pro a few weeks ago but have been busy loading software in it. I tried hooking it up to the SL and it said I needed to upgrade my firmware. It automatically downloaded the beta version, which I thought was pretty cheesy, since I did not want to upgrade to the beta yet. After that, I hooked it to my desktop and VST came up and said I needed to upgrade to the latest version. I downloaded the beta (again, I felt like I was forced to because the firmware on my board had already been flashed). After running it, my PC was communicating well with the SL. Wierd. I was using a different cable, possibly I had a faulty firewire.. hard to believe that was the problem though.

I could use my MB, I just would prefer not to. I can't navigate it very well, it's sooo different from a PC. Plus, I have two matching monitors on my mixing desk, new large hard drive on PC, etc. I know my PC like the back of my hand (for the most part) and love the dual display. The idea of looking at that tiny monitor for hours scares me too...

So do you think it could have been a bad driver on my computer?

Thanks,
Mark
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

It could be a driver but there are several other possibilities.

I know it's frustrating...believe me I know. Every time I have to build a new base build, I go through it.

Can you give a step by step of what you've done up to this point to troubleshoot or repair the issue up to this point?

Or option two we can go back to basics and start where I'd start.

It will work but it's a long process sometimes.
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
thetriguy
Prenoob

Geez, I don't even remember everything I've tried!!

I purchased a good Startech firewire card, and have rolled the device drivers back to legacy, per Presonus
I always cut on the SL first, then the computer
I used to get that Gain Reduction problem every time, you told me how to fix it... lately it hasn't been doing it anymore... not sure why
If Reaper, VSL, can't see the SL, usually I turn it off and back on and hope for the best.
Once I get 3 or 4 people over to record, and I have this problem, I just start grasping at straws. It's embarassing, I have spent soooo much money on this stuff and am always having problems with it.
So, I start turning off computer, turn off SL, turn on SL, turn on computer, etc.
Now that I think about it, I may have had luck before after taking the cable out and swapping it into the other SL firewire input.
Like I said, I want to TURN ON THE SL, TURN ON THE COMPUTER, and have this stuff work!!

I really want to buy one of the new USB devices this fall, but geez... I really wish Presonus would fix this stuff before cranking out new stuf. It's frustrating. I paid $2000 for something I can't use half the time. My $100 Delta 44 works great. My Edirol M-16DX NEVER gave me a problem. I traded it to a guy at church when I bought the SL. Bad mistake on my part for sure.

I'm wondering if Firewire just sucks?? I mean, I've had problems before with USB before too... but nothing like I'm experiencing now. A friend of mine from church came over to record the other night, and I thought he was going to have to leave because I couldn't get this stuff working.

And, a live concert recording looms October 16th. I simply cannot show up to record this live concert (we are selling the CD's at a youth fundraiser) and not be able to do it.

NOW, I've got BETA drivers on my MB and my PC. I hate BETA drivers. It automatically installed them without asking me. It just said I needed to update to the latest version and I said OK. I didn't know it was going to be the BETA. That pissed me off. However, after installing the beta on both machines, the last time I used it on the computer it worked OK. BUT, I think it was when I plugged the firewire cable into the SL after the computer was already on. I really can't rememer man.

I know you take up a lot of your time helping other people, I'll pay it forward once I'm able to.. If you ever need to know anything about forklifts or bicycles, I'm your man. This stuff, not so much. Thanks again! Hopefully you can help me!!!
Whitestone
Prenoob

I was running mine on a HP Pavillion stock fire wire and for two year it all worked flawlessly! Never once let me done. HP use standardized compnents, are cheap and work fine! I run Sonar x1 so mac us not an option for me. HP's have never failed me for compatibility with other devices.
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

Triguy,

I'm gonna shoot you a PM in a second. This is gonna take a while but from the look of things we'd be best suited to start from the beginning.

You're gonna need this http://forums.presonus.com/posts/list/3535.page

The links we'll need are in there.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
Jason.Harris
Presonoid

If you have not done the Legacy Driver Fix, Do so now! Thats probably the issue if you've got a fresh install of Win 7.

Its just a fact of the PC world that you're going to spend time optimizing, maintaining, and tweaking Windows. I've been a PC guy for nearly 20 years and am making the move to Mac for my professional work. As much as I hate to say it, the damned things just work!

Now, if you're willing to go through the trouble of staying current with Microsofts OS changes and get very serious about tweaking your Windows, a PC will serve you very well. I've been using one for live performances as an instrument for years! Heck, I even took my desktop PC out for several of those years. I've never had one crash onstage or anything of the sort... That said, I've spent COUNTLESS HOURS tweaking and tuning my PC's... Countless.... I wish I'd have bought a Mac early on and spent those hours on music instead...

Cheers,

Jason

thetriguy
Prenoob

I have already done the legacy fix, it didn't help. My computer actually worked the last time I tried it, but it was after installing the beta driver (I had to because I installed it on my mac, my accident). Once I did that, it worked great. It was getting late and I needed to head back in the house, so I'm not too excited about it. I really don't expect to go home and have everything work like it's supossed to. It could be able related. I did also swap cables.

What is so wierd, or maybe not...

When I had SL off and New MB Pro off, I hooked up the SL and turned it on. Then booted up my MB pro. I went into VSL and it could not see the SL. That is the same problem I have been having with windows.

I turned it back off agin and turned on the macbook (with SL already on ,but cable not connected). I plugged in the firewire cable to the MB pro, and boom, it was there.

I did the same thing to PC and it worked (with a message saying VSL needed to be updated or something like that).

The SL book says to turn SL on first, then computer. Is this right?

Also, I am really wanting on of the new interfaces coming out this fall. I am assuming it's USB because of all of these problems with firewire? I just hate spending more than half the day working on crap, then no time to do what I bought if for. I had a really bad day yesterday...

Thanks for the info!

Monolithent, I'm going to download all the programs and stuff I need and save them to my dropbox acct so I'll be ready to start some of that trial and error stuff tonight. Thanks again.
PhilG
Presonoid
[Avatar]

I had this exact problem with a via vt6307 pci card and another via vt6308 onboard, I thought it was the beta firmware but the chips just die

2 x SL16.4.2's
Audiobox USB
Studio One V2 Pro
/ Rack System
AMD FX-4170 / 16GB DDR3 / Win7x64 / Via 6308FW Onboard
/Mobile System
Toshiba Satellite P200 / 8GB DDR2 / Win7x64 / Ti FW & i7 13" MBP
/Wireless
Ipad v1 16gb - Samsung Galaxy Tab - Asus Black Diamond router

[Email] [WWW] [ICQ]
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

It is interesting that this is the same firewire chipset we are dealing with for this instance. His machine has the VIA 6308 in it.

Might be worth looking into if the rest of the stuff we're doing doesn't pan out.

--MultiBoot System--
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
SNS
Presonic
[Avatar]

this is not to hijack your thread,but i am having some problems with my new studio live 1602

i also have a firestudio project,but now i want to use my new studio live 1602 also as my main soundcard,when i connect the studio live it says couldnt initiase the firestudio driver,??and the presonus driver dont show up in the win xp sound settings but if i connect my firestudio project the driver shows up and all works

i have installed the capture software and already have studio one pro installed,but it seems like im missing the driver for studio live??
http://soundcloud.com/subbasednb
FACEBOOK
http://www.facebook.com/Subbasednb

Frigt Teck Sounddesign
http://www.teamdnr.net/distorted-drums/
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT BUY MY SAMPLEPACK

Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion
Go to: