image description

Should I be using an ASIO driver?
  Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

Hi. There is no ASIO driver on my windows 7 x64 machine. I've been using Windows Audio. Is there an advantage to using an ASIO driver, and if so how would I get the right one to use with S1? I work with multitrack audio.

Thanks. I really like this DAW, by the way.
S1 V2.5 Windows 64x, big processor--lots of ram, Presonus Audiobox 1818 VSL, Melodyne Editor V2, KRK monitors
themuzic
Baconator
[Avatar]

Yes you should and yes, there's a HUGE advantage.

1. lower latencies can be used
2. better recording quality than the mic in on the Windows Audio Soundcard
3. you'll be able to record multiple inputs at once (depending on the interface, of course.

http://www.homestudiotrainer.webs.com/
http://www.youtube.com/user/themuzic
Email - homestudiotrainer@yahoo.com
Skype - themuzic
Phone - 773-303-7260
I offer FREE assistance for Studio One (any version) and Presonus hardware, to anyone having issues or anyone who simply wants to learn

Gateway Tower - Intel Core i5 3330 CPU 3GHz 8GB Ram and 64bit Windows 8
[Email] [WWW] [Yahoo!]
gospeltunes
Presonic
[Avatar]

dongios wrote:Hi. There is no ASIO driver on my windows 7 x64 machine. I've been using Windows Audio. Is there an advantage to using an ASIO driver, and if so how would I get the right one to use with S1? I work with multitrack audio.

Thanks. I really like this DAW, by the way.

On my main computer I use a RME interface wich uses an ASIO driver, and it has worked perfectly. I tried installling S1 Pro on my laptop which didn't have an ASIO driver, and I couldn't get it to work. So I did an internet search for ASIO4All, found a free download and now my laptop works just fine.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/09/2011 08:26:45

Studio One Pro 2.0.3 64 bit - Intel i7 2600 @ 3.4GHz - Windows 7 64 bit
Audiobox VSL1818 - Presonus Faderport - JBL LSR4328P Monitors Novation 61SL
Casio CTK-7000 - NI Maschine
Blue Spark Mic - Alto headphone amp
Komplete 7 - Stylus RMX - Trilian - Scarbee funk guitarist - EZ Drummer - EZ Mix(2)
Melodyne Editor - Valhalla Room - EarReckon Reverb - Nomad Factory Liquid Bundle
Rob Papen Delay - Sonimus SatsonBuss and Satson Channel
Sonar Home Studio
[WWW]
Dijon
Presonic

From your post, it sounds like you're trying to make do with an onboard sound card... If that's the case, your best bet is to take gospeltunes' suggestion, and try the 3rd -party ASIO4all driver:

http://www.asio4all.com/

Ideally, though, you should get a sound card/audio interface that was designed for music recording; and yes, these all have native ASIO drivers (AFAIK) -- which is usually preferable over the other driver types for the reasons Johnny (themuzic) laid out.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 05/09/2011 11:10:26

i7 2600K, Intel DZ68DB, Win7 x64, 16GB Ram
Nvidia GeForce GT630, SIIG PCI-e Firewire Card
Studio One Prof 2.5 64-bit
TC Electronic Konnekt 24D
Modded Presonus Eureka with AD192 I/O
Kawai M8000, CME UF5
Wharfedale and Event ALP Monitors
RODE NT1A (mod), Avantone CV-12
Various software
Slash411
Prenoob
[Avatar]

YES - definitely ASIO.
Wouldn't recommend ASIO4ALL.
Buy a real Audio Interface and you'll get a "real" asio driver and never have to worry about this again.
Studio Setup:
Asus P5 WDH Deluxe, Intel Q8660, 6 GB Ram, W7 HP, Digidesign Eleven Rack, Avid MBox Mini, Genelen 8020, Yamaha HS80M, Universal Audio Solo 610, Universal Audio Solo 710, SPL Goldmike, RNC, bunch of good mics..., Pro Tools 9, Presonus Studio One Pro, Presonus Capture, 2x UAD 1, 1x UAD 2 Solo, NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Waves Musicians Bundle, Superior Drummer 2.0 with all extensions, Addictive Drums and more...

Live Setup:
Presonus SL 24.4.2, Apple Mac Book Pro, Presonus Capture, Presonus Studio One Pro
[WWW]
dongios
Prenoob

Slash, dijon, gospeltunes & themuzic,

Thanks for your help. This user forum is a great resource. I did download the asio4all driver and S1 seems to be working fine.

I'm not recording my own tracks at this point. I'm currently mixing tracks for my band that were recorded in a professional studio. I'm wondering if I should now go back and create a new mixdown dub for the songs I've already completed using the windows audio. Will doing the mixdown with the ASIO inline help anything?

I've used a Zoom H4 as an audio interface. Don't know much about it. It's the only one I've used.

Thanks again

S1 V2.5 Windows 64x, big processor--lots of ram, Presonus Audiobox 1818 VSL, Melodyne Editor V2, KRK monitors
Slash411
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Well as long as you don't record anything or try to do any monitoring and you can playback without problems you should be fine...
new bounces not necesarry if the others have no clicks or pops or anything. the audio engine of your DAW is doing the job there, not the driver...
Still, audio interface is the way to go...

Studio Setup:
Asus P5 WDH Deluxe, Intel Q8660, 6 GB Ram, W7 HP, Digidesign Eleven Rack, Avid MBox Mini, Genelen 8020, Yamaha HS80M, Universal Audio Solo 610, Universal Audio Solo 710, SPL Goldmike, RNC, bunch of good mics..., Pro Tools 9, Presonus Studio One Pro, Presonus Capture, 2x UAD 1, 1x UAD 2 Solo, NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Waves Musicians Bundle, Superior Drummer 2.0 with all extensions, Addictive Drums and more...

Live Setup:
Presonus SL 24.4.2, Apple Mac Book Pro, Presonus Capture, Presonus Studio One Pro
[WWW]
dongios
Prenoob

ah yes, the clicks & pops. I did go in and overdub an acoustic guitar part and had a problem with clicks and pops. I also experimented with adding midi and was experiencing nasty latency problems. There are no clicks or pops on the mixdowns.

Thanks for you help. I'll get a good interface the next time II have to record my own tracks.
1stSarge
Prenoob

Slash411 wrote:YES - definitely ASIO.
Buy a real Audio Interface and you'll get a "real" asio driver and never have to worry about this again.

That's really a funny statement seeing how people have less problems with the generic asio driver than they do the "real" one that comes with the unit. I worked for a week to get the "real" driver to work correctly but it will not. Asio4All works fine and my studio one app actually reads it with a faster latency than the "real" one did. I don't think the real ones are all they are cracked up to be.
kelldammit
Presonic
[Avatar]

1stSarge wrote:
Slash411 wrote:YES - definitely ASIO.

That's really a funny statement seeing how people have less problems with the generic asio driver than they do the "real" one that comes with the unit. I worked for a week to get the "real" driver to work correctly but it will not. Asio4All works fine and my studio one app actually reads it with a faster latency than the "real" one did. I don't think the real ones are all they are cracked up to be.

that just depends on the interface, really.
if you get one with a well-written driver, it blows the generic class-compliant windows driver out of the water. my novation stuff was like that for audio as well as midi (i had both the x-station and xiosynth). of course, if the driver's crap, then it might well work the other way around. ymmv

Some people are like slinkies. They don't have a purpose, but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
--
Lenovo e520, i5 @2.3ghz, 8gb Ram, 7200rpm hd, win7 pro x64, studio 1 v2 pro x64, focusrite saffire usb-6, akai mpk-61.
[WWW]

Forum Index » Studio One General Discussion
Go to: