image description

StudioLive Video Training Series
  Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion 
Author
Presonic
[Avatar]

Hey guys. These aren't anything fancy, but I wanted to share a series of training videos I created to teach some of my remote clients how to use their StudioLive mixers. These videos are just rough cut and temporary, but I am producing a more complete series of videos in professional video studio. So I'll let you know when those are available as well.

In the meantime... Here's the link to the Youtube Playlist of videos.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HousetopMedia#grid/user/DE440332A7009752

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 24/06/2011 00:26:55

We help churches utilize technology to proclaim the gospel
www.housetopmedia.com
[WWW]
djeror
Presonic
[Avatar]

Please suggest more training topics that you would like to see, errors in my teaching and anything else that will be helpful to me as I move forward creating a series of higher quality training videos.
www.housetopmedia.com
[WWW]
Rich G.
Prenoob

Great series of videos! Very helpful. I just watched the one on Monitor Mixes- Hope you caught that bee! lol!

Also, very happy to hear about the iPod app coming out!!!
Jason.Harris
Presonoid

djeror,

Excellent! This is what I love about this forum

cheers,

Jason

fazmanicg
Presonic
[Avatar]

Derrick,
Nice job on the vids. I checked out your website as well. Really well done.
If I may, can you tell us how many Studio Lives you have installed, and the level of performance that you've seen? In other words, Most of what you read in this forum is related to issues. It would be nice to hear from someone who has worked with a number of these boards and get some feedback. I don't think you'd be putting your company's reputation on the line if you have not had much success with these boards.
SL 16.4.2 - (2) QSC K12 - (2) QSC KW181 - (2) QSC KW152 - (5) Audix OM-6 - (2) Audix OM-7 - (2) Audix ADX-51 - (1) Sure ULX Wireless - (2) Shure PSM200 - MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.8 - APC Battery Backup - Furman P-1800 AR - http://www.avenuegroove.com
djeror
Presonic
[Avatar]

fazmanicg wrote:Derrick,
Nice job on the vids. I checked out your website as well. Really well done.
If I may, can you tell us how many Studio Lives you have installed, and the level of performance that you've seen? In other words, Most of what you read in this forum is related to issues. It would be nice to hear from someone who has worked with a number of these boards and get some feedback. I don't think you'd be putting your company's reputation on the line if you have not had much success with these boards.

Thanks for the compliments. But I also welcome suggestions for changes!

Regarding number of StudioLives I have out it the field, we just started a year ago and I typically am working with churches on complete systems. All that to say not a ton of volume. I think I've got about 15 StudioLives out in the field.

Out of the 15 though I have had one customer that had a problem that wasn't software or user error. His 16.4.2 would boot up to a blank blue screen and not work about 1 out of 3 times he would start it. Ended up having to get a replacement. Besides that I have had glowing feedback (or else I wouldn't be promoting them). Out of all of the churches I've worked with only 3 of them had sound guys that kind of knew what they were doing. Most churches have volunteers that don't have a clue. One church was a brand new church getting ready to start. They didn't have a single person who had ever touched a mixer or any other sound gear. I spent Friday evening training them how to set up and use the system. Spent about 30 minutes talking about the StudioLive. I left the next day and their first service was that Sunday. Everything went off without a hitch and the pastor called to tell me how great everything sounded. Being able to tell people that have never done sound just to load presets is priceless. I teach new people how to set gain levels, how to load channel and scene presets, and then how to listen and create a balanced mix with the faders. That's all I teach them at first. And it sounds great. I can't do that with an analog board. I just look for someone with an ear for music, tell the pastor to put that person on the mixer and teaching them to mix is the simple part.

So yeah, 1 out of 15 of the boards had a problem. But Presonus was great in getting it taken care of. These message boards can be deceiving. People who have problems like to complain. Most people who love their StudioLive mixer will never visit this forum, because it's working. Case in point, none of my customers have ever visited this forum even after I told them how awesome you guys on here are. Presonus has sold thousands of these things. From my vantage I'm just seeing a lot of happy customers.
www.housetopmedia.com
[WWW]
djeror
Presonic
[Avatar]

Regarding the professionally produced series of training videos.... Who would you like to see guest star on the videos?

The 3 guys I'm currently considering asking to be a part of making the training series are:

Rick Naqvi (duh)
Justin Spence (He told me he would tatoo each of his knuckles to spell PRESONUS for $1,000 each finger)
Doug Gould (brilliant teacher, he travels the country teaching)

Who would you like to co-train on the videos with me? Obviously I have to convince one of these guys to actually do it with me....
www.housetopmedia.com
[WWW]
rnaqvi
Presonic
[Avatar]

Derek you rock!!!

I'll ask our guys to give you a shout out from our Facebook page as well.

Rick Naqvi
VP of Sales
rnaqvi@presonus.com
[WWW]
djeror
Presonic
[Avatar]

rnaqvi wrote:Derek you rock!!!

I'll ask our guys to give you a shout out from our Facebook page as well.

Thanks Rick! I know these videos aren't high quality but I hope they are helpful to some users out there. I made all of these videos in one night using my iPad as the camera. I would love your input and suggestions for the professionally shot and edited series of videos I will be working on soon.

Would you or Justin Spence be interested in teaming up with me to create a complete series that teaches all the features of the StudioLive mixers to beginners? NY fingerlakes are beautiful this time of year.... I'll take you on a wine tour.
www.housetopmedia.com
[WWW]
talmen
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Great resource, Derek, thanks a bunch! That was a really excellent idea. I am certain that there are a lot of people who are going to find your video very useful -- and no need to apologize about "quality" -- slick production is nice, but it is the quality of the content that really counts.
Field Kit:
MacBook Pro 9.2 i5 2.5 GHz, 8GB RAM,
OS 10.8.5;
SL 16.4.2, AB1818VSL, Alesis IO14 / IO26
PreSonus Capture 2.1.0.24135, PreSonus S1
v2.6.1.24770, Boom Recorder 7.25.3

Studio Kit:
iMac 11.3, i7 (Quad) 2.93GHz, 8 GB RAM,
OS 10.9.1,
M-Audio FW1814, PreSonus Faderport,
PreSonus S1 Pro 2.6.1.24770
coffeeten
Prenoob
[Avatar]

Great tutorials! I can't wait for the ringing out a room.

Thanks!

PS: Maybe cut it with FCP X, because, as a pro editor, I certainly can't! (I had to get that one in there

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at 26/06/2011 03:42:55

Studiolive 16.4.2
Macbook Pro 2.8 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mac OS X 10.6.7
Logic Pro 9
[WWW]
Big Joe Daddy
Presonic
[Avatar]

Nicely done! How in the heck did you film it with your iPad?
StudioLive 24.4.2 | StudioLive 16.4.2 | StudioLive 16.0.2 | QSC K Series 10's, 12's, Subs | Fractal Axe-FX II | Mac Pro - OS X 10.7.4, 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon, 2TB RAID, 16GB | MacBook Pro | iPad 64GB | Studio One v2.5 | an old watch, a lamp, and a box of crayons
djeror
Presonic
[Avatar]

Big Joe Daddy wrote:Nicely done! How in the heck did you film it with your iPad?

IPad 2 has cameras on it. Then I roughly edited them in iMovie on the iPad.
www.housetopmedia.com
[WWW]

Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion
Go to: