image description

DAW firewire studiolive aux question
  Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion 
Author
Prenoob

the setup

i have a 16.4.2 that we use for our inear rig. we run backing tracks live and recently we switched from running our backing tracks out from an ipod, to out from a laptop. we use reaper DAW and have 2 tracks in the project. one is click, the other is the mixed down backing tracks. the click is routed in the DAW to channel 15 on the board, the other track is routed in the DAW to channel 16 on the board. i have both of the firewire buttons pressed on the respective channels, we get play back out the main outs to our pa in our practice room.

heres my problem

those 2 tracks coming in on 15 and 16, show no input meter signal and do not route to the aux channels like a normal input on the channel would

ive read through the manual and i just cant seem to figure out what im doing wrong any help would be greatly appreciated
MikeRivers
Presonoid
[Avatar]

dadeisgone wrote: we run backing tracks live and recently we switched from running our backing tracks out from an ipod, to out from a laptop. we use reaper DAW and have 2 tracks in the project. one is click, the other is the mixed down backing tracks. the click is routed in the DAW to channel 15 on the board, the other track is routed in the DAW to channel 16 on the board. i have both of the firewire buttons pressed on the respective channels, we get play back out the main outs to our pa in our practice room.

heres my problem

those 2 tracks coming in on 15 and 16, show no input meter signal and do not route to the aux channels like a normal input on the channel would

Quick check to see if you've really routed the Reaper playback to StudioLive channels 15-16 (a lot of people seem to have a problem with this). Do you have the Firewire button below the 2-TRACK IN knob of the mixer pressed? If so, release it. If your playback to the main outputs goes away, then you're hearing it through the 2-Track Input path and not through Channels 15-16. If this is the case, then you'll need to go to the Reaper I/O routing and be sure that you're assigning the track output to the StudioLive channels 15-16.
Visit http://mikeriversaudio.wordpress.com for some useful audio info
"It's much easier to look for a magic solution than it is to adapt to reality." - Allan Sloan
[WWW]
dadeisgone
Prenoob

yes i made sure the 2track firewire button wasnt pressed still the same problem, im quite positive that the 2 tracks are routed correctly in reaper, from my earlier statement i actually have track 2 which is the click routed to channel 15 on the board, with the parent/master send off so it doesnt go to the master fader, and instead of routing channel 1 which is the backing tracks to channel 16 on the board i have the master fader/main hardware output going routed to channel 16, still same problem no input signal and nothing going to the auxs, still have playback from the main outs on the board
MikeRivers
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Let me see if I understand. You are able to play your click and backing tracks through channels 15 and 16, hear them in the mains, but you can't send those tracks to any Aux buses?

i actually have track 2 which is the click routed to channel 15 on the board, with the parent/master send off so it doesnt go to the master fader,

By "parent/master send" do you mean the large slider (fader) on channel 15?

Do you have the POST button on the Aux pressed? If that fader is down and you have the Aux set to POST, then you won't get anything sent to them from that channel because the Aux fader input is after the channel fader. Switch it to PRE (POST button off/out).

Press the MIX button for the Aux bus you want to send the click track to and make sure that Channel 15 is turned up.

You might want to send the click to the Aux bus POST-fader so you can quickly turn it off in the monitor by pulling down the Channel 15 fader. Since you don't want the click to appear in the main outputs, just don't assign Channel 15 to MAIN (or anywhere else).

instead of routing channel 1 which is the backing tracks to channel 16 on the board i have the master fader/main hardware output going routed to channel 16,

I'm not sure I follow you here. I think you said you did the right thing. You have your backing track feeding Channel 16, you can hear it in the mains, but not in the Aux? To me that only means that you don't have Channel 16 turned up in the Aux bus that you're using for the monitor.

To verify that you're actually sending the click and backing tracks to the channels you think you are, press the SOLO button for those channels and check it in the headphones. Don't forget to also press the SOLO button in the monitor section so you can get the solo bus in the headphones.

Do you understand how to send channels to the Aux buses? As a quick sanity check, plug a mic into Channel 16, switch back to the analog input (Channel 16 Firewire button off) and see if you can get the mic in both the main outputs and the Aux bus. If so, then you should be able to get the backing track to the Aux bus. Make the same check with Channel 15.

You aren't trying to do anything really unusual here, so you must just have a wrong button pressed somewhere. It's easy to do on this mixer.
"It's much easier to look for a magic solution than it is to adapt to reality." - Allan Sloan
[WWW]
dadeisgone
Prenoob

i tried something different i opened reaper put one track in reaper which automatically routes to the master fader in reaper, i then routed the master fader/channel in reaper to channel 16 on the board, yes im sure its on channel 16, out of the mixing board i have a small pa plugged into the main outs on the board, i get play back and i have control of the volume with channel 16 fader on the board, however when i press the input button on the mixing board to check input levels it still shows no incoming signal even when its playing back out of the pa, and the auxs still are not receiving anything from channel 16, none of the auxs are post fader, and yes ive tried sending it to all of the different aux channels on the board

hope that clears everything up

im pretty familar with teh board had it since it came out, and ive used it for running 6 inear mixes ever since i got it, i have the latest firmware and VSL and Universal Control
MikeRivers
Presonoid
[Avatar]

Sorry, I have no other ideas. Maybe someone more familiar with the mixer can help you out. I can't believe that what you want to do can't be done.
[WWW]
dadeisgone
Prenoob

Anyone moderators?
LRS
Presonic
[Avatar]

Okay - just ran a test on my SL24 this morning.

I used Studio One Pro because I don't have Reaper and I have the SL24 instead of the SL16 but otherwise everything should be the same.

I set up a couple of tracks in the DAW which I routed through a couple of input channels on the desk via firewire.

First thing to note: The firewire input is post gain and the levels are controlled by the input signal, in this case the level in the DAW. The gain control on the desk has no affect on the input level. I didn't actually depress the input button to check the inputs across the board but I did select each track on the board individually and saw the input level on the screen display. I was able to control the input level on the meter by adjusting the level in Studio One.

Next I fed these signals to an aux using the "Mix" control. Everything worked perfectly and I was able to hear the tracks through the aux output.

So unless there is a difference between the SL24 and SL16 that I'm unaware of what you're trying to do should work fine. My suggestion would be to force an update via VSL just in case something has become corrupt somehow.

Cheers
Graham
[WWW]
kthomsonus
Prenoob

I too have had problems routing Reaper to SL 16.4.2 . Try this. Under the master fader I/O increase your channels to over 16 ,,,say 32. See if that works. What I had to do after that ,was create busses for every audio track in Reaper. Then send every audio track to it's corresponding buss,,,, then using the hardware outputs ,,,output the busses to their corresponding channels in SL. 1-16. Leave the master without any hardware outputs but plenty of channels to cover all of the bussess and tracks. I am not at the studio so I hope I told this correctly. I will check it though for you. I noticed in Studio one 's 16 4 2 template that they do something similar. And it works in S1. so I tried the same setup in Reaper. Don't know why you can't just route the audio track's hardware outputs directly too SL channels??????
kthomsonus
Prenoob

Well now I know I have gone completely crazy. I took the tutorial song out of studio one and transfered the tracks to Reaper. The only output under the master fader set was studio Live 2 track in with 2 channels . nothing in the individual traks set at all ?????? Now everything works. so I made a template from it. All my playback is right now as well as my auxes to the headphone amps. Monitoring etc
I'm convinced now I don't know what the hell I'm doing. Oh well ,,,,if it works don't fix it.
Monolithent
Supreme Baconator
[Avatar]

There's wisdom in that!
http://support.presonus.com

Tallest guy in the Mod Squad with all his hair still on his head.

No I'm not a freaking pilot!! The Air Force won't let me have a suit with a zipper...or sometimes shoestrings.

My advice and suggestions should never be considered advice or suggestions. These are mostly insane ramblings of a poor aircraft mechanic who can, strangely enough, still hear.

StudioLive 16.4.2, AudioBox 1818VSL, AudioBox 44VSL, Faderport, Digimax FS,, M-Audio Firewire 410
--MultiBoot System--
Win Vista 64/XP Pro/7 x86/7 x64 - Mac OSX Snow Leopard/Lion
Gigabyte motherboard--SYBA TI Firewire XIO2200A--i7 2600k Quad Core--16 GB DDR III--Custom 2U Rackmount--4 TB Raid (all internal SATA II)--19" Samsung HDMI LCD on pivoting VESA 1U Mount
Studio One v1 Pro x64
Studio One v1 Artist
Studio One v2 Artist
[Yahoo!]
rnaqvi
Presonic
[Avatar]

Do a test.

Plug a mic into channel 16 (make sure the FW button is off).

Press the 'input meter' button and make sure you are getting input.

If that channel is assigned to the main, you will hear it out of the master outputs.

Now, hit the mix control button of Aux 1. And turn up the Aux 1 Return knob. You should be hearing it out of the aux output.

Now that you have established that an analog signal is working through the aux, try reaper again. Send a track from reaper out of ASIO stream 16. Press the firewire button.

Press the 'input meter' button to make sure you are getting signal from reaper on channel 16.

If you haven't touched anything else, that channel should still be assigned to aux 1 and you should definitely hear it out of the aux.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Rick Naqvi
VP of Sales
rnaqvi@presonus.com
[WWW]
paulewog
Prenoob

For what it's worth, I found that the "Master" send that all tracks in Reaper were set to go through was sending everything to channels 1/2.

I added channels 1-16 going to channels 1-16 (individually) and it worked and played back on the correct channel.

Not sure exactly if this is your issue or not.

Forum Index » StudioLive General Discussion
Go to: